Fish with Bananas [Recipe Revision]
We were in Bermuda many years ago and we ate fish with bananas. I know it sounds funny, but it really is quite good. Bananas go very well with different meats and seafoods. I later discovered a recipe for it in Burt Wolf’s Eating Well cookbook. He in turn got the recipe from Commander’s Palace in New Orleans.
Today, I had some ripe bananas so we had fish and bananas for dinner. I have revised this recipe over the years largely because it requires the fish to be breaded and fried. Here is my revised and more healthful version:
Roasted Fish and Bananas
Serves 2 can be scaled up
- 2 4-ounce halibut steaks
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- dash of salt and pepper
- 2 bananas peeled and sliced
For lime sauce:
- Juice of 3 limes
- Juice of two lemons
- 1 clove garlic mashed
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp canola oil based butter substitute
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush the halibut steaks with olive oil and place on oven safe skillet. (I like cast iron.) Mix herbs and spices in a small bowl and spread evenly over fish. Place skillet into oven and cook for about 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. The fish is done when it flakes easily and is a rich white color.
2. While the fish is cooking, place the sliced bananas in a roasting pan sprayed with cooking spray. Place into the oven with the fish for five minutes. Don’t cook for too long or they will turn into mush.
3. In a small saucepan, mix the juices, garlic and peppercorns. Allow to come to a boil and then turn on low for about 15 minutes. The juices should get somewhat syrupy and the water cooks off. Add the butter substitute, stirring until a soft sauce forms. Note: I like things tart. If you do not want it as tart, remove the juice of one lime, add a bit of water instead, and a dash of sugar, and keep stirring.
4. With all the pieces, build the dish. Plate the halibut. Top with half of the bananas. Then spoon over some of the sauce. Sprinkle with almonds and enjoy.